8, 9 and 10 month sleep regression

You know when you are pregnant, or you don't have kids at all; and when you go out, or visit friends and all you see are happy mums pushing their sleeping babies around in strollers, or mums asking you to `shhh please` because baby is napping...


Well, that mum isn`t me, and that baby sure isn't Aiden. It is no secret that we have had our issues with sleep, and our issues in dealing with that lack of sleep, but I recently received an email from The Baby Sleep Site, which offered a possible explanation about our current situation.


Here is an excerpt from that email;


For many of you, you may be wondering what is going on with your 8, 9, or 10 month old's sleep. She may be having more night-wakings or napping very inconsistently. Although you can sometimes start to feel like it's something you're doing wrong, rest assured at least part of it is probably due to another sleep regression. You may want to read this article: 8, 9, or 10 month sleep regression and get some tips to get through it.


According to the article that this email links to, your 8, 9, or 10 month old still needs 11-12 hours of sleep at night and 2-3 hours during the day, but as with all developmental milestones, night sleep can be disrupted while your baby is going through a big developmental leap. Either they are too busy practicing their new skills (either by choice or impulsively) or their brain is just too wired to settle down.


This is definitely true for Aiden. He wakes up throughout the night, and the first thing he does is try to crawl around, or pull up to stand. He is exhausted and ends up crashing right back down several times before giving up and going back to sleep.


I hope the article helps a little, and if not, here are some more links to the 8-10 month sleep regression.


- Is it really sleep regression? - here
- A blog for sleep deprived parents - here
- Some info about the 4 month sleep regression - here


and an excerpt from a great mum who blogs positively at the memories of the 8-month sleep regression...

Last night, as I nursed him back to sleep for what seemed like the billionth time, I realized that, instead of becoming frustrated at my more-than-usual lack of sleep, I really should cherish it. This is time I'm investing in my son, and although I'll probably wake up more tired than usual, I can still function just fine. One of the hallmarks of my mothering has been that I really haven't ever minded night parenting, and you know what? Travis will never have an 8-month sleep regression ever again. Maybe he'll have a 12-month one, or an 18-month one, or maybe he'll be the kind of little kid who wakes up a lot to come sleep with Mommy and Daddy, but this moment in time will never be repeated. When he's older, I'll be able to look back lovingly on these moments and speak to him of them with a twinkle in my eye and a smile on my lips. And I'll never have to worry about whether or not I did the "right thing" in caring for him as best I could through these more difficult times. As tiring as it may be, in my deepest heart of hearts and at the very core of my mothering instincts, this feels right to me, and so every time he needs me at night, I get up and take care of him. It might be more difficult, but what good thing ever comes easy? And while that's probably not the glamorous image of motherhood for most people, there's really no place I'd rather be.


And just for good measure, 2 pics of my little sleepless angel;




xx

Comments

  1. We're definitely experiencing something similar. Last night was the first in a week that I actually got to have any kind of evening, as Little S has been waking repeatedly throughout the first few hours of sleep. Fortunately there's no attempts to crawl or stand and she falls asleep again pretty quickly if I feed her but it's such a pain! My mum is getting me The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Christmas, hoping there will be something helpful in there!

    I do feel sorry for Little S though, new places, lots of new people, different food, no daddy... she's really clingy and unsettled at the moment because of it all. It does drive me crazy sometimes though :/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where can I breastfeed in Osaka?

Most popular baby names in Japan for 2016

Big news!