6 weeks old
Your baby should be able to
• Lift her head when held to your body √
• Lift her head and chest when placed on her stomach for ‘tummy time’ √ (although Aiden doesn`t like tummy time!!)
• Turn her head from side to side when lying on her stomach √
• Follow a moving object or person with her eyes within a limited range of vision √
• Hold her hands open or loosely fisted √
• Grasp a rattle or small toy √
• Wiggle and kick out with her arms and legs √
In newborns, the development of the nervous system continues through primitive (or infantile) reflexes. These ‘primitive’ reflexes include:
The Moro reflex
While holding your baby in your arms, allow his head drop back a few centimeters only and he’ll respond with a sudden outstretching of the arms as if to catch hold on something. This reflex is tested by your pediatrician as soon as your baby is born.
The Rooting reflex
Stroking the corner of your baby’s mouth will result in the lowering of the lower lip and turning of the face towards the side of the stroke. This reflex appears at birth and disappears between 4 and 6 months. Obviously, this reflex is designed to help your baby learn to feed!
The Sucking reflex
Place the tip of one finger in your baby’s mouth and she’ll respond by vigorously sucking your finger. Wow – those babies can suck!
Place one finger in your baby’s palm or on the sole of her foot, and your baby will respond by flexing her fingers or curling her toes. The Grasp reflex usually disappears between 3 and 6 months.
Communication and Cognition
Again, by the time your baby is 6 weeks old, she should be able to:
• Turn her head toward bright lights √
• Turn her head toward the sound of your voice √
• Recognize her bottle or your breast √
• Respond to your shaking a rattle or bell nearby √
• Make cooing or gurgling sounds √
• Smile in response to your smile (every parent’s favorite moment!) √
• Communicate her hunger, fear, or discomfort (through crying or through her facial expressions) √
• React to ‘Peek-a-boo’ games √
So far I think he is doing great! I mean, he isn`t perfect, but I sure think he is pretty amazing :)