Aren`t you scared?
Many moms told us that their contractions felt like an extreme version of menstrual cramps, while others compared them to cramps from gas, a stomach flu, or a charley horse.
- My contractions were like menstrual cramps on steroids.
- The cramping went from the top of my stomach down to my pubic area.
- It was like gas pains times a thousand.
- A horrible cramp that started in my back and radiated into my stomach.
- Very painful cramping and tightening that started at the top of my uterus and spread downward and through my back.
- Strong menstrual cramps that came and went. They would start low and radiate up my belly and around into my lower back.
- Like the cramps you get with a really bad stomach flu – but they last longer!
- Labor feels like charley horses in your lower abdomen.
Several women described the contractions as a "tightening" rather than a cramping.
- It felt like my entire stomach was tightening down into a painful little ball. But the contractions were not unbearable at all.
- I literally felt my uterus muscles tightening.
- The contractions felt like my whole body was clenching up.
- It was like someone was grabbing all the skin in my back and pulling very slowly until it was tight, then holding it for a minute and releasing.
- I had tightening all over my belly, radiating into my lower back and rectum.
- It felt like someone was squeezing my belly every two or three minutes.
- It was like someone was squeezing my insides as hard as they could.