I ♡ Ruiboos
Ruiboos Tea (or ルイボスティー in Japanese) is a tea I have only started drinking recently. It was recommended to me by Yoshi`s sister-in-law who is also pregnant now.
It is widely known for its health benefits. Have you tried it? It tastes really different from Oolong tea and Green tea, which I usually drink, and are readily available in Japan (hot and cold at the convenience store, in tea bags, powder form...).
Rooibos tea is a red tea and the first time I drank it, it seemed quite strong, but I have now become accustomed to the taste.
Here is some more information about Rooibos tea (from Cook`s Corner)...
- It has a very soothing effect on the central nervous system and can be strongly recommended for people suffering from irritability, stress, headaches, nervous tension and mild depression or hypertension.
- Helps with insomnia, disturbed sleep patterns and headaches. Have a cup of Rooibos before you get ready for bed to ensure a good night's sleep.
- Studies have shown Rooibos is beneficial in the management of allergies like hay fever and asthma.
- Relieves stomach and digestive problems like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, syomach ulcers and constipation.
- Helps to control your appetite thus can be beneficial in weight loss. Also helps in controlling your blood sugar level.
- Since Rooibos contains no oxalic acid it can be safely used by people suffering from kidney stones.
- Scientists have found that Rooibos tea contains a mimic of the enzyme Super Oxide Dimutase(S.O.D.), an anti-oxidant which attacks free radicals and limits their damaging effects. ("Free radicals," is the toxic by-product of natural biological processes that can damage healthy cells, weaken our immune system, lead to cancer. The harmful oxygen also contributes to aging, making us look older than we really are!and it contributes to aging.)
- Mothers find Rooibos tea to be of benefit in common infant ailments like colic, stomach cramps, fussy babies. When given in addition to babies normal feeding , Rooibos supplements the daily intake of calcium , manganese and fluoride needed by growing children for strong teeth and bones. Rooibos is effective for relieving skin irritaions such as diaper rash and eczema. Brew a cup then let cool down and apply to irrited area. Mothers can also benefit from drinking Rooibos tea. During pregnancy and breast feeding, the body’s iron levels become depleted.
It can also be applied topically!
The alpha hydroxy acid and zinc contained in Rooibos promotes healthy, smooth skin. This wonder tea is especially useful when applied to skin irritations like itchy skin, eczema, sunburns, diaper rash, acne and rosacea.
It is a favorite for pregnant women in many countries (especially South Africa), and is certainly one of mine too.