Silver Week シルバーウィーク

I have to mention briefly the reason I have all these days off! 5 in fact! A real rarity in Japan (like once in a blue moon - and the next one won`t be untul 2015, and after that, in 2026!)


This wee holiday is called Silver week. I have heard various theories regarding the name: one friend told me that because Monday is `Respect for the elders day`, Silver week refers to the color of old people`s hair. Another friend told me that Silver week is 2nd only to Golden week in terms of length.

There are 3 national holidays which occur during Silver week;


September 21st –
Respect for the Aged Day (Keiro no hi)
A relatively new national holiday in Japan, designated as such in 1966, there are no long standing customs associated with the day but with the rapidly “silvering” or aging of the Japanese population it is likely that the holiday will gain significance over time.

September 22nd –
Citizen`s Day (Kokumin no kyujitsu)
Part of the Happy Monday system that automatically makes the day that falls between two national holidays a holiday itself.

September 23rd –
Autumn Equinox Day (Shubun no hi)
Celebrating the turning of the seasons, many people head back to their hometowns and spend a portion of the Shubun-no-hi, with is also celebrated each spring, tending to the graves of their ancestors according to ancient Buddhist tradition.

So, what did I do during this 5-day extravaganza of a Japanese holiday? Not much to be quite honest, but I did manage a lot of cleaning, washing and clothes sorting (changing over my closet from summer to winter - something I have only done since living in Japan).

I also had my first real appointment at the laser hair removal clinic! woohoo! after my first counseling session over a month ago, it was about time. I don`t know how many of you have ever tried it, but it was painless, easy and quick. In fact, I would highly recommend it to anyone who hates shaving, waxing or epliating because you don`t have to exert an ounce of energy.

The only negative thing I have found so far is the slight embarrassment of having hair removed from the bikini area... if you are my father, please stop reading NOW!

They asked me to shave 2-3 days before the appointment, but even if I hadn`t, I don`t think it would have mattered because she proceeded to shave everything again using a small vibrating razor! how bizarre. To preserve what little dignity remained (whilst lying spread legged), she put a towel over my face and didn`t engage in conversation at all (thank god).

At the clinic I went to, they divide the bikini area into 4 zones, and she spent about 10 minutes shaving, removing stray hairs with sticky tape, applying cold gel, and then using the laser on each zone.

Definitely glad that I only have to go once every 2-3 months!

Last night, I went to T`s house for her `apartment warming party`. She and her boyfriend bought an apartment a few months ago and last night, had a few friends over to celebrate the occasion.

One couple who attended the party brought their little dog too. Her name is Mel and she is a Maltese. Just 8 months old, she was the centre of attention all night long. Very very cute.


Great silvery holiday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most popular baby names in Japan for 2016

English speaking waxing therapist in Osaka

Packing your maternity hospital bag in Japan