January 8th - my day off

Had a great day off yesterday so I will tell you all about it... I went to the big DIY/homeware discount store called Conan in the morning to buy some cat food and was surprised to find this...


Hehe! They are tuna (まぐろ) flavored cat biscuits called `Cat Smack`. They are infused with an ingredient called matatabi (またたび) which is Actinidia polygama (silver vine) in English. It is a plant which causes cats to elicit very strange behavior. It is somewhat similar to an aphrodisiac and has `drug-like` results which I guess caused this cat food maker to label their food as `Cat Smack`. So funny!

This plant is mentioned in the saying 猫にまたたび、女郎に小判 (neko ni matatabi, jorō ni koban, "Silver vine to a cat, a coin to a prostitute"), meaning to put someone in a good mood by providing that which they most desire.

In the afternoon, Yoshi and I went ice skating in Namba. It was the first time in maybe forever for me to set foot in an ice skating rink, and I had so much fun. The rink was full of girls aged 8-12 who were flying around the rink, spinning and twirling and doing things I couldn`t even do on dry land - amazing! Yoshi is a bit of a pro too (making me quite envious as he whizzed around the rink - even skating backwards!), after numerous years on the ice hockey team. He was very patient with me though, even after I caused him to fall flat on his face at one point - oops!


I was going to attach a picture of the big bruise on my bum, but reconsidered. You never know what kind of strange people on the internet might actually like that ;)

After leaving the skating rink, we decided that we`d had enough exercise to last us quite a while and headed off to the movie theatre. We saw the new Leondaro Di
Caprio movie (`Body of lies`, strangely called `World of lies` in Japan), and were quite impressed. It is a spy story about a CIA operative who goes to Jordan to track down a terrorist. It is directed by Ridley Scott and I can safely say that it is worth a look!


It was much better than Keanu`s movie we saw last month!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most popular baby names in Japan for 2016

English speaking waxing therapist in Osaka

Packing your maternity hospital bag in Japan